Monday, June 22, 2009

June 20, 2009

Kaylin's Birthday!

She decided to arrive on her own time, and early! She was born Saturday, June 20, 2009 at 4:18am, weighed 6lbs 8oz and was 19 1/4 inches long.

It all started Thursday evening when I went to Babies R Us and the mall to run some errands. During my walking I felt a ton of pelvic pressure. I now really believe all that walking is was brought my labor on. I went to bed uncomfortable and woke up Friday morning uncomfortable. I could really tell she had dropped from all that walking and every time I would get up and walk at work it was just so uncomfortable. I did have periodic mild contractions all day at work and finally at 1:40 I decided it was probably time I keep track of them to see how far they were apart. The were running about 20 minutes apart. When my husband called, he asked his typical how am I doing question, and frankly I didn't want to tell him because I really thought it was nothing, but I told him anyway. Of course as soon as I told him I was having contractions, my next one was 40 minutes later. However, after that 40 minute break they became 4-6 minutes apart. Once again, I thought I was imagining things and really wasn't sure if it was just her pushing out on my stomach or if they really were contractions. I was kind of nervous to tell my husband they were that close because I thought he would over react and really thought I was fine. He did kind of freak out and told me I needed to leave work asap. He tried to get me to just drive to the hospital but I insisted I needed to go home because I HAD to take our dog home and there was no way he could stay in my car in 90 degree weather. He was annoyed but agreed and told me to leave now. I finally agreed because it was easier than disagreeing! I called in my manager and told her I was having contractions and needed to leave now rather than in an hour when we closed. I went over some last minute things with her since it was my scheduled last day and all and left. My husband freaked out when I told him I had just left (10 minutes after he told me to leave). Funny thing was... I STILL beat him home from work.

Once we got home, he put all our stuff in the car and we left. On the way to the hospital my contractions, still very mild, started getting further and further apart. By the time we got to the hospital and were sitting in the waiting room they were 8-15 minutes apart. I thought for sure we were going to be sent home and this was a waste of time. Pretty much what I thought from the beginning. I really only went to the hospital because my husband was insisting on it! When we were put in a room my cervix was checked and was still 4cm and 80% effaced, however the contractions were registering a consistent 6 ish minutes apart. Because I had not made progress from Monday they sent me walking around the hospital for an hour. We went down, ate some dinner and walked around. I made sure we kept a good pace, because when I was walking at the mall the night before, the faster I walked the more uncomfortable it was. When our hour was up, they checked me again and hooked me back up. My contractions were coming a bit closer together and I was between 4 and 5 cm now. Because I made some progress, they called the Dr who said to admit me and break my water.

My water was broke about 9pm by a resident. After my water broke my contraction started to get more uncomfortable. Our friends came to hang out with us in the delivery room, which I was honestly glad for since it helped the time pass and helped distract me from the contractions. Also, she took almost 300 pictures during labor and afterwards! Around 11 my contractions were becoming much more painful, so I decided it was probably time for the epidural. We had asked the nurse at what point I couldn't get it anymore and she pretty much said I could get one as long as I could sit still through a contraction. By this point it was almost getting to that. The anesthesiologist arrive and prepped me. When she stuck the numbing needle in my back I jumped and she has to stick me again. Then when she went to stick the epidural catheter in, I pulled my spine inwards thus she kept telling me I had to keep it arched and rounded out. Lets say, it still hurt and I caught myself pulling it inwards several times. Oops. But once it was in, I pretty much had immediate relief. The nurse checked my cervix again and by this time I was completely effaced an between 7 and 8 cm dilated. The next few hours went by smoothly and about 2-2:30 my cervix was checked again and I was 10cm! I still hadn't had the urge to push so she emptied my bladder. The pressure started so she had me do some practice pushes. 30 to 45 minutes later she came back in and the pushing started. I pushed for about 45 minutes until she was crowning. At this point they called in the Dr. At one point she wasn't doing well with me on by back so I had to turn to the side, not easy as I couldn't keep my legs closed... The Dr walked in just as the nurse was saying that this baby wasn't going to wait much longer and if he wasn't here in 5 minutes she would call again.

The Dr walked in, the room and I was prepped and he had me start to push. I don't remember this, but the Dr and my husband were having a nice conversation about golf in between him telling me to push! The Dr does a great bob of involving the husbands. I have to say the worst part about all this was actually hearing the snips of the scissors that cut my episiotomy! Yikes! But... she was out in a few pushes, my husband cut the umbilical cord, and she was placed on my chest. She didn't really cry much and still doesn't cry much. Despite her weak cry's she scored and 8 and a 9 on her apgars. All in all it was a pretty short labor. Only 7 hours from the time they broke my water and 10 hours from the time I was first admitted.

We had been up for nearly 24 hours by the time we got to the postpartum room and only got 1-2 hours of sleep that night. Saturday was filled with visitors and by the evening I was exhausted. So far the hardest part about the first few days has been breast feeding. It has been quite painful and had to ask for a visit from the lactation consultant. I wound up with two visits, which were helpful. It's still something we are working on, but getting better.

We had our first night home last night and my husband and I pretty much got between 3 and 4 hours of sleep. Her first pedi appointment was this morning and all is well. She has a little bit of reflux but the pedi gave us some tips on how to help with that and the instructions to call if it gets worse or she starts to look uncomfortable. And now she weights 5lbs 15 oz.

It was all well worth it. Here are some pictures!!!


My First picture!











Me and my dad on Father's Day!














Here I am with one of my new friends!














Me and my big "brother", Phoenix!











Here I am in the cradle my Great-Grandpa made for my Mommy!

No comments: