Tuesday, June 16, 2009

In Other News...

First off, I was reading a friends In-Touch magazine over the weekend, something I never do, and stumbled upon the horoscope section... Capricorn's horoscope for the week of June 15-21 is: The weekend ahead is shaping up to be an adventurous one, as a potential new love interest is about to make a gesture that will delight you. The first thing I thought of is Kaylin MUST be making her entrance this weekend! I guess we shall see.

I had my weekly Dr's appointment yesterday. Lets just say it threw me for an unexpected loop. All went well. I gained about 2 pounds and my blood pressure was 110/70, so all was normal. I had my second internal exam as well. I am now 4cm dilated and about 80% effaced. The Dr said I could now have an epidural if I needed one!

The part that threw me for the loop was when I said my husband was getting impatient to meet his daughter and that he was routing for Wednesday. The Dr really started looking into what our options were. He pretty much took that as a lets schedule and induction... I really wasn't prepared to have it brought up so soon. Kind of makes me wonder if he is going to out of town sometime in the next 2 weeks with it being the 4th and all... Basically, he said the hospital won't let you schedule anything until you are 39 weeks so he would go check is calendar and come back in. Now, if Kaylin doesn't decide to come on her own in the next week, she will arrive next Tuesday, June 23rd at 38 weeks 4/5 days (depending on the ultrasound you date by). I did ask the Dr if it would just be better to wait and he pretty much said that if I MAKE it to Tuesday he really doesn't think I would go much past next Tuesday anyway. Either way she would probably have been here before her due date anyway. I'm personally routing for Father's Day! What a great Father's Day present that would make.

Honestly I was a bit sceptical of being induced, let alone so early. And everybody who I have told this to, has expressed their opinions on it as well. Which, in turn doesn't make things any better. People really do just need to learn when to speak up and when to keep their mouth shut. And the endless chatter I hear about inductions this and inductions that... Don't you think I know them? I have been torn about wanting an induction from the beginning and everybody quips just make it harder to make the right decision. After weighing the risks and benefits in my head the only negative I can really, honestly come up with is that I will miss out on the "Honey, it's time" moment. People say that you have a higher risk for a c-section... Yes and no. From my understanding the more "ripe" your cervix is the less chance you have of needing a c-section. At 4cm and 80% effaced... It's pretty darn close to ripe. I have another appointment next Monday, assuming I haven't gone into labor yet, to see if I have progressed even more. And frankly, at one point during this pregnancy I was kind of hoping for a c-section. Telling me this "fact" only annoys me more. I know way too many things that could potentially go wrong. I could have a cord prolapse or the cord could be wrapped around her neck and with every contraction her heart rate drops, etc. I really feel if I'm induced these things will be so much more monitored and it will lift a burden of worry from my mind. I was talking to a friend yesterday who pretty much said this was our decision and we had to decide on our own what was best and that with my history and seeing how much I worry, that this may not be a bad option. Worry can cause undue stress on your body and isn't good for the baby. Either way, I really do hope she decides to come on her own before next Tuesday. I have had on and off contractions, felt sick to my stomach yesterday and have had 2 mothers tell me they think I'm close... (I guess we will call that mothers' labor intuition...?). And is it really a coincidence that I got a "prediction" saying I will go tomorrow and another "horoscope" I will go this weekend? I don't normally put too much faith in those things, but is that too much of a coincidence? The funny part is the last "fortune" I got was in a fortune cookie the week after a friend passed away unexpectedly, saying The Heart Knows How to Withstand a Substantial Loss. This friends birthday, guess when that is... this Sunday, on Father's Day. Coincidence... Or is it something so much more?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would wait for the induction if I were you...you don't seem convinced of it and you should do what you want! Not what is convienent for a doc or anyone else.