Friday, March 13, 2009

V-Day

Today has been a busy day. I am 24 weeks pregnant, had my doctors visit today and Kaylin is considered viable if she would born early! So everyday from here on out increases her chance of survival if she should be born early, and in one more month her chances of surviving increase to 90-95%!

This week your baby's growing steadily, having gained about 4 ounces since last week. That puts him at just over a pound. Since he's almost a foot long (picture and ear of corn), he cuts a pretty lean figure at this point, but his body is filling out proportionally and he'll soon start to plump up. His brain is also growing quickly now, and his taste buds are continuing to develop. His lungs are developing "branches" of the respiratory "tree" as well as cells that produce surfactant, a substance that will help his air sacs inflate once he hits the outside world. His skin is still thin and translucent, but that will start to change soon.














She is getting bigger and according to the nurse at my doctors office, so am I. I gained 5 1/2 pounds in 4 weeks. Her response... Oh, you have finally gained some weight! So now I am at 122 lbs. My blood pressure was normal again at 102/60, my belly is measuring right on target for how far along I am and her heartbeat sounded great. My next appointment will be April 8th. I get the fun pleasure of taking the gestational diabetes test and drinking the "tasty" sugar drink. But on the up side, we get to see Kaylin again during the ultrasound to check on my placentas progress of moving up and away from my cervix. It will just be a chalk full visit, not a quickie like today's was.

PS: I will be out of town this weekend, so I won't be adding any new belly shots until Sunday or Monday evening.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your viability day! It's a great milestone!